Les Violons du Roy and Jonathan Cohen are announcing
for the following vacancy: Principal 2nd violin and Co-Concertmaster
Audition Date: Sunday, November 6th, 2022
Place: Salle D’Youville, Palais Montcalm
Application Deadline: Monday, October 31st, 2022
To apply: Highly qualified applicants are asked to send their up-to-date resume (audio-visual material may be included) and a cheque (or bank transfer, credit card/PayPal payment) of 100$ CAD payable to ‘’Les Violons du Roy,’’ which will be reimbursed at the auditions, to the following address:
Orchestra Personnel Director
Les Violons du Roy et La Chapelle de Québec
995 place D’Youville
Quebec City (Quebec) Canada G1R 3P1
Tel.: 581 990-7394
Please mention the subject “Auditions – Les Violons du Roy”.
Applicants are free to send audio or video recordings.
Please inform us if you wish to use an accompanist provided by the orchestra.
Repertoire: Digital copies of the orchestral excerpts are available by request.
1. J. S. BACH: One movement of a Partita for solo violin (excluding Chaconne)
2. W. A. MOZART: 1st movement of a violin concerto with cadenza
3. 1st movement of a Romantic concerto with cadenza (Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Brahms, Bruch [No. 1])
1. G. F. HANDEL: Concerto Grosso, Op. 6 No. 10, HWV 328, I. Overture [mm. 1–57, no repeat]
2. J. S. BACH: St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244 (Part 2, Chorus I), “Erbarme dich” [solo mm. 1–8]
3. W. A. MOZART: Symphony No. 39 in E-flat, K. 543, 2nd movement [mm. 68–108]
4. F. MENDELSSOHN: Symphony No. 4 in A Major, op. 90 “Italian”, I. Allegro vivace [mm. 1–66 and mm.
5. A. DVOŘÁK: Serenade for Strings, op. 22, III. Scherzo: Vivace [mm. 1–59]
Position description: Under the authority of the Music Direction and the Artistic Administration Direction, the principal 2nd violin and co-concertmaster will act alternately as concertmaster and leader of the second violins. The number of weeks (34) can be discussed.
Working conditions: Les Violons du Roy provides a 7% contribution to the person’s pension fund and offers a group insurance plan. The musicians of Les Violons du Roy are eligible for employment insurance. For further information please contact Xavier Boucher (details above).
The musicians of Les Violons du Roy are members of the American Federation of Musicians.
Bows: The musicians of Les Violons du Roy play on modern instruments, but use replicas of baroque bows for the repertoire dating before 1750 and classical bows (transitionals) to perform works of the classical period.
Please note: For the audition, the baroque bow will be highly recommended for the baroque works.
Tuning: A = 442 Hz