2024 Concerto Competition
Les Violons du Roy 2024 Concerto Competition
In partnership with Domaine Forget de Charlevoix
- This international competition is open to young high-level string players.
- Eligible instruments are violin, viola, cello and double bass.
- The concerto selected must be on the list of accepted concertos.
- The use of a prerecorded accompaniment is not permitted.
- Candidates must be 25 years of age or under when registering.
- Candidates must be available to take part in the Domaine Forget de Charlevoix Academy chamber orchestra workshop from August 11 to 24, 2024. The competition finals will be held during this period.
- The competition is not open to 1st prize winners of previous editions of the competition.
- Finalists from previous editions who would like to enter this year must submit a work different from any they have already performed at the competition.
You must be registered for the competition in order to submit your video. If your video is ready, you can send it when registering.
Registration deadline: Friday, February 16, 2024, 11:59 p.m. ET
Deadline for submitting video: Friday, March 1st, 2024, 11:59 p.m. ET
What to provide when registering:
- Your duly completed entry form.
- Your CV.
- A cover letter of no more than 300 words or a video no longer than five minutes summarizing your background and future plans.
- A copy of a valid ID showing your date of birth.
- An artist photo with the photo credit at the bottom right.
- A PDF copy of the score of your chosen concerto.
- The registration fee of CAN $40 (all taxes included), payable by credit card here.
Important details regarding your video:
- Your video must feature your performance of a complete baroque concerto or a fast movement of a classical concerto with a cadenza.
- You must be accompanied by a keyboard player.
- Your video must have been recorded in the last 6 months.
- Your video must be sent as a YouTube link.
For any questions and to submit your application, please contact
Youth and Community Projects Coordinator
HOW THE COMPETITION WORKS
Selection of finalists
Up to 5 finalists will be selected by a jury made up of musicians from Les Violons du Roy and their music director, Jonathan Cohen. The finalists will receive a full scholarship to participate in the chamber orchestra workshop at the Domaine Forget de Charlevoix Academy from August 11 to 24, 2024. The finalists will be announced in the week of March 18, 2024.
In April and May 2024, finalists will be provided individual mentorship online by musicians from Les Violons du Roy to help them work on their concertos. They will also take part in a one-on-one online class open to the public with Jonathan Cohen, music director of Les Violons du Roy.
The Concerto Competition finals will take place during the first week of the Domaine Forget de Charlevoix Academy chamber orchestra workshop. The finals are open to the public and will be recorded for the finalists. Keyboard accompaniment will be provided for all finalists. The jury will be made up of musicians from Les Violons du Roy as well as the artistic director of Domaine Forget, Mr. Mathieu Lussier.
- A cash prize of CAN $2,000 awarded by Les Violons du Roy
- An invitation to perform a solo with Les Violons du Roy during the Domaine Forget de Charlevoix Academy chamber orchestra workshop
- A cash prize of CAN $1,000 awarded by Fonds Claude Samson for Les Violons du Roy
- A cash prize of CAN $750 awarded by Les Violons du Roy Foundation