Published on June 7, 2018
LES VIOLONS DU ROY 2018 SUMMER CONCERTS
Quebec City, June 7, 2018 – From June 19 to September 16, Les Violons du Roy is proud to present a variety of summer concerts, which will take place in four churches in the Quebec City area and at a number of festivals in Quebec and Ottawa. There will be no shortage of opportunities for the public to experience unforgettable musical events this summer.
Le Domaine Forget International Festival
Under the baton of Nicolas Ellis, Les Violons du Roy and pianist Charles Richard-Hamelin will perform a program of works by Mozart and Beethoven at Domaine Forget. Les Violons du Roy is thrilled to be working with Ellis, one of the most talented young conductors of his generation. Les Violons du Roy is also welcoming back contralto Marie-Nicole Lemieux for an opera program led by Jean-François Rivest. Members of the Domaine Forget Choir will join the orchestra to perform Brahms’s Alto Rhapsody, op. 53 for contralto, male chorus, and orchestra.
- Saturday, June 30 at 8 p.m., concert hall at Domaine Forget, Nicolas Ellis, conductor, Charles Richard-Hamelin, piano
- Saturday, August 18 at 8 p.m., concert hall at Domaine Forget, Jean-François Rivest, conductor, Marie-Nicole Lemieux, contralto, Domaine Forget choir
Festival d’opéra de Quebec
This year at Festival d’opéra de Québec, Les Violons du Roy will welcome French soprano Véronique Gens to perform arias by Rameau, Gluck, and Mozart led by Les Violons du Roy’s new music director, Jonathan Cohen. For the first time ever, audiences in Quebec will be treated to the outstanding musical presence of Véronique Gens, a star of the international opera scene.
- Friday, August 3 at 8.pm., Salle Raoul-Jobin, Palais Montcalm – Maison de la musique, Jonathan Cohen, conductor, Véronique Gens, soprano
Chamber Music in Sainte-Pétronille
On Île d’Orléans, pianist Jean-Michel Dubé and four musicians from Les Violons du Roy will present a program of chamber music dedicated entirely to composer André Mathieu (1929–1968). It will be a chance to discover one of the leading figures of the Quebec musical landscape. The concert will also be performed at the Music and Beyond Festival in Ottawa.
- Wednesday, July 11 at 2 p.m. , First Baptist Church, Ottawa, Jean-Michel Dubé, piano, Pascale Gagnon and Noëlla Bouchard, violins, Isaac Chalk, alto, Raphaël Dubé, violoncello
- Thursday, August 9 at 8:30 p.m., Église Sainte-Pétronille, Île d’Orléans, Jean-Michel Dubé, piano, Pascale Gagnon and Noëlla Bouchard, violins, Isaac Chalk, alto, Raphaël Dubé, violoncello
Les Violons du Roy is pleased to launch the Vivaldissimo! tour this June, dedicated to the music of Vivaldi. This rare opportunity to see the orchestra’s musicians perform a selection of their favorites from Vivaldi’s extensive virtuosic repertoire without a conductor will delight music lovers and the musically curious alike! The four concerts will be performed in Quebec City from June 19 to 22 and are free for youth age 12 and under accompanied by an adult.
- Tuesday, June 19 at 7 p.m., Église La Nativité-de-Notre-Dame, Quebec City*
- Wednesday, June 20 at 7:30 p.m., Église Saint-Félix de Cap-Rouge, Quebec City*
- Thursday, June 21 at 7 p.m., Église Saint-Charles-Garnier, Quebec City*
- Friday, June 22 at 7 p.m., Église Saint-Charles-Borromée, Quebec City*
The Vivaldissimo! concert will also be performed at the Orford Music Festival and the Music and Beyond Festival in Ottawa as well as in Rivière-du-Loup and Montmagny. Mark your calendars!
- Friday, July 6 at 8 p.m., Salle Gilles-Lefebvre, Orford Music
- Tuesday, July 10, at 7:30 p.m., Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica, Music and Beyond Festival, Ottawa
- Friday, September 14 at 8 p.m., Salle Alphonse-Desjardins, Centre culturel Berger, Rivière-du-Loup
- Sunday, September 16 at 3 p.m., Salle Edwin-Bélanger, Montmagny
*The Vivaldissimo! concerts in Quebec City are courtesy of the Cultural Development Agreement between Ministère de la Culture et des Communications and the City of Quebec.
Les Violons du Roy would like to thank the Canada Council for the Arts, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, and the City of Quebec for their support.
— 30 —
Information and interviews:
Communications and Marketing Officer
Les Violons du Roy and La Chapelle de Québec
Tel.: 418-692-3026, ext. 230